Gary Jenkins is the host of the true crime podcast, Gangland Wire, which recounts his stories of true organized crime true as a Kansas City Police Detective. With twenty-five years on the police force, Gary has a lot of stories to tell! His enthusiasm for learning new technologies and passion for actively participating on these platforms enable him to genuinely connect with his listeners. Gary and I dive into some stories on the police force and we discuss the origins of the podcast.
- 08:35 – The podcast’s focus on the west side mafia and serial killers.
- 11:40 – How did Gary come up with the name of his podcast?
- 13:25 – The AHA moment when Gary realized through podcasting he could share his crime stories in an innovative way.
- 17:25 – His co-host, Aaron, is an interesting guy!
- 21:30 – A checkered past living in Kansas City didn’t stop Gary from getting a job as a cop.
- 24:45 – Bringing together your neighbors, thanks to crime and Facebook.
- 29:20 – An incident made Gary realize he didn’t have the police “edge” anymore,
- 35:00 – Gary is proud of his documentary film.
- 40:15 – Channeling Jerry Lewis with a fundraiser episode.
- 43:25 – Gary clears up the myth -- does an undercover police officer have to admit they are a cop if asked?
- 44:00 – Other countries are fascinated with the glorification of organized crime.
- 46:30 – Harry and Gary share sound advice for fellow podcasters.
- 49:00 – What is the one most misunderstood thing about Gary?
- 50:00 – How the Buddhist practice has helped Gary control his negative thoughts.
- 52:00 – What has changed Gary’s mind recently?
Full Show Notes: http://podcastjunkies.com/gary-jenkins-interview/